Friday, January 4, 2013

2013 goals

Around this time last year, I wrote a post about my 2012 new year's resolution. This is what I wrote last year: "Neither Matt nor myself are really big on making New Year's resolutions, but this year we do have a major dream: to move to a larger home (or at least save a hefty chunk of money to do so in 2013)."

Status check:  we have not moved.  Matt and I looked at a few homes in our dream neighborhoods throughout the year, but we didn't love any of them.  The neighborhoods we looked in (while nice), were still not completely conducive to our lifestyle.  To move into a larger home with a nice grassy backyard, we must move further from downtown harbor area and more to the "suburbs", which means longer commute to our friend's homes, restaurants, shops, and other conveniences of living in the heart of downtown.  The more we looked at these homes, the more we loved the home we currently live in.  And so here we are, still in the same 1,000 sq. ft. rowhome with a concrete backyard.  We're just not quite ready to give up the social scene that our house enables!  So house hunting will resume sometime later in 2013 most likely :-)

As far as savings goes, we continue to save money the best we can -- and yes -- I still clip coupons!  Rite Aid has become my go-to store for most things :)

This year for 2013, I would like to make more concrete goals, and I'm going to write them out so that I can be held accountable for them, so here goes.

Financial goals:

1)  Pay off my debts!  Pay more than the minimum each month for my student loans and car loan.  My Sallie Mae loans are set to be fully paid off by September 2017 if I continue to pay the minimum each month, and my car loan is set to be fully paid off by December 2016.  My goal is to cut into those totals each month for faster pay off.

2)  In addition to paying off loans, grow my savings.

3)  Look into other money investment options.  Money sitting in a savings account with 0.01% interest rate seems stupid.  There must be better ways of growing savings right?!

Home improvement goals:

1)  Complete master bedroom makeover.  The room is currently in this process as I type, however, it still has a long way to go!  I'm thinking it needs new paint color, new window treatments, and new bedding.

2)  Install new kitchen appliances and countertops.

3)  Replace side door and back door.  We recently replaced the front entry door, but we wouldn't have saved any money by replacing all 3 at the same time, so we decided to stagger installations.

Personal goals:

1)  Cliche "stick to a workout plan" and "eat healthy meals."  About a year ago, I quit my Merritt Gym membership and joined another gym that has no workout equipment (i.e. treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines).  Instead, the instructor teaches us how to use free weights, kettlebells, bands, ropes, etc. to strength train and get a killer conditioning workout.  I really love it, and it complements my sport activities perfectly.  For those in the downtown Baltimore area, check out Fivex3 Training!

2)  Spend quality time with my friends, family, and boyfriend.  With my office job, photography job, and everything else that eats up my free time, it's hard to spend time with everyone important in my life!  I need to learn to say "no" to things and not spread myself too thin.

So there you have it.  Here's hoping 2013 will be just as motivating and successful as 2012 was!

And since no post is complete without photos, here are a peek into a current project in the master bedroom:

Before:




During:
(gold wall paint)




After:  Stay tuned.....




0 comments: